Candles work by vaporizing a liquid for its users to breathe in. When the wick (string at the core of the candle) is lit, it heats up the wax, melting it. This hot, melted wax then vaporizes and is diffused into the air around it, creating the pleasant smells we’ve all come to enjoy during the holiday season. However, while scented candles help contribute to the perfect homey ambiance, they’re less than ideal for your home’s atmosphere.
As the saying goes, “where there’s smoke, there’s fire”. Well, the opposite is also true. Even though you may not equate that tiny flame burning atop your pumpkin-spice candle to the types of out-of-control blazes we typically associate with smoke and pollution, it works the same way and emits many of the same hazardous particles. As the flame works its way down the wick, it converts that cotton string into carbon dioxide and soot. These small soot particles are microscopic and can penetrate deep into your lungs, causing difficulty breathing and potentially leading to lung cancer.